On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 6:34 AM, Minh Nguyen
<m...@nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us> wrote:
> On 16:04 2014-03-11, Peter Davies wrote:
>>
>> I thought I would make my proposal stand out a bit more by adding words
>> to the title.  :-O
>>
>> There are some weird things, like Nebraska's state law that requires
>> NDOR to have a state road link to every community of a 100 people or
>> more. I've changed some "Link 80F" ref tags to "NE 80F Link" and "Spur
>> nnX" tags to "NE nnX Spur" without having time to do the whole state.
>>
>> AZ has its "Loop 101" and "Loop 202" freeways for which I would advocate
>> refs "AZ Loop 101" and "AZ Loop 202".
>>
>> Texas also has many weird qualifiers on minor state routes but as I've
>> never contracted there for 511 I'm not totally familiar with them.
>>
>> Peter
>

> As others have mentioned, we already use unique two-letter state
> abbreviations as part of relations' network tags. I created a bunch of
> network=US:OH:LOG:Zane route relations last night (Zane Twp., Logan Co.) and
> I'm intent on keeping the ways' ref tags a bit shorter than that.
>
> For all I know, Ohio's DOT could be an outlier, but they use "SR 123"
> notation exclusively, including on variable message signs [1] and at their
> traffic website OHGO [2].
>
> I've firmly of the opinion that ways' ref tags should not always be
> considered uniquely identifiable. For something like a traffic reporting
> application, ways' ref tags should be at most a fallback in the absence of
> route relations. On the other hand, less qualified refs may be more useful
> in narrated directions: "Turn left at Link 80F" would be preferable to "Turn
> left at NE 80F Link." Why bother telling me what state I'm in as I approach
> the intersection?
>
> It's unnecessary to cram more qualifiers and a rigid syntax into a single
> field when our data model has much more appropriate facilities for this
> information. Insisting on uniformity on ways' ref tags only invites data
> consumers to make poor assumptions. There's a CA 50 in Cantabria, Spain,
> after all. [3]

I've been saying this for years, but perhaps not quite as clearly.

> That said, I don't find a particularly strong case for leaving bare numbers
> in ways' ref tags.

How about when the actual route marker is generic?  A few states here
and there use the plain circle for their state routes.  A few New
England states use a plain square or rectangle.  To me this is a clear
parallel with Europe, which tends to use rectangles, and whatever's
written in the rectangle gets put in the ref tag as-is.  I wouldn't
object to this practice, as long as it's only used for states where
the official route marker is a plain circle/oval or square/rectangle
with no clear state identifier on it.