Some ways to proceed:
* check meetup.com for local groups in the area - not even necessarily
OSM specific, but perhaps geocaching, outdoor enthusiasts, etc. and
drop them a line
* check for the nearest OSM group (meetup, or the local group map[1])
in a larger town / city and ask them.

[1]
http://usergroups.openstreetmap.de/?zoom=4&lat=38.34166&lon=-96.76758&layers=B0T
- very sparse, but it depends on local groups using
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template:User_group on their OSM
wiki page - and not everyone has that. Please add if you run a local
group!

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Russell Deffner <russdeff...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wolfgang,
>
> Lots of rural United States, as well as many places do not currently have a
> local mapping community.  We are working on it, and a good chance to
> 'recruit' help is at the State of the Map - US (stateofthemap.us) coming up
> in a couple of weeks.  I am also co-organizer for OSM-Colorado ('unofficial'
> meetup.com group) and have been slowly spreading the message into Wyoming
> (which I believe is the least populous state); so I appreciate any
> suggestions, contacts, etc.
>
> Thank you,
> =Russ
>
> russdeff...@gmail.com