Russ,

My opinion is that this is a single data source issue. Unlike other
data that we collect, there is nothing in the ground indicating the
existence of this as a route. There's no sign indicating where the
route is, so there's be no way to collect this data other than by
looking at an external dataset and either importing or tracing.

I think that's an import, because it's taking external data and
applying it to OSM without even the potential for ground validation.

I did mess up in that I needed to have stated, and will state now,
that I was not talking from the position of the DWG.

We have a lot of data that we could include in OSM that would be
useful. Every so often someone wants to add property lines. I think
those would be potentially interesting, but unsurveyable. These bike
routes are similar. There's nothing on the ground that tells you that
you're on the particular bus route- which means that the only
definitive answer we could have about a bus route is some external
dataset. If two OSMers disagree, the answer will always be "What does
the original data say?" - rather than "What does the ground look
like?" - right?

I think that this kind of data doesn't belong in OSM. It's not
something that lends itself well to OSM. It think it could be mixed in
during rendering or for routing, but it doesn't belong in OSM proper.

The issue of tracing vs importing is orthogonal to this question.

- Serge