On 9/1/2014 11:27 AM, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
Except I don't know if they're at all cyclable, or if I need to take the
bike with knobbly tyres, or even if they exist at all. OSM in the US just
isn't reliable to that level, whereas it is in Western Europe, and the
Australians are also working on the issue. But in the US, I couldn't use OSM
for planning a route by hand, let alone with a router, which would merrily
send me down the shortest highway=residential with no knowledge of whether
it's suitable or not.

For the rural case and accurate route planning, it will take ground truthing to get accurate bike / foot routing - it's probably not something that could be tasked to MapRoulette/etc.