I know of no place where the state name is spelled out in the "ref=*" tag on
any way or relation.  Only in the 'is_in:state' tag on RELATIONS have I seen
the state name sometimes spelled out.

As for states that have just '123' on the way ref tags. I know of only two that
have that happening in masses.  And that is Florida and Georgia.  Most of this
was done by NE2 to make the tags 'render' back when only a limited number of
characters would render on the map (since changed).  In those states, people
have been starting to fix those 'tags' to add in the proper state abbreviation.
 So, if you see a tag like "ref=US 17;25" in either of those states on a way,
go for it and fix it for the better (ref=US 17;GA 25).  Just don't do anything
automated without talking about it here on [talk-us] first of course.

-James