This thread seems like a storm in a teacup. From a data perspective
addr:state is not really needed. Nominatim in particular and probably other
geocoders as well assign it automatically based on state (admin_level=4)
boundary relations. These relations are also tagged with ref=<2 letter
code> which is why searching for something in "Manhattan, KS" works in
nominatim just as well as "Manhattan, Kansas"

The addr;state field has generally been left off of address imports. Adding
the field in iD to reduce user input errors might be nice and a good idea
but the addr:state tag that results from it is of very little value.

Toby