I would point out that the legal status of U.S. States is slightly different
than that of provinces (and likely of states in other countries).  For one
thing, U.S. States exist in their own right and do not drive their existence
from a higher government (even though most of them were created by a higher
government). German States and perhaps Swiss cantons might have the same status.

-jack