I wonder why US States are tagged as admin_level=4, wouldn't it be more consistent with the rest of the map to have them tagged as level 3?
admin_level=4 is consistent with Canada and Australia at the very least. I believe it's also consistent with Mexico, South Africa as well as other countries.

Given that states are often grouped together for various purposes into regions, I'm skeptical about admin_level=3 anyways. The groupings vary depending on the purpose and we don't map them, but it does demonstrate that there's the concept of a grouping above states.