Hi all, first time post here (hope I'm doing everything right.)

There's an interesting article at Gizmodo about erasing the Hollywood sign
from Google Maps, Bing Maps, Apple Maps etc -- people who live on roads
nearby were complaining about hikers and tourists, and they got the LA City
Council, Google and a local website to change the walking directions so no
one goes through their neighborhood anymore, instead pointing them to other
viewpoints miles away.

To me it's an interesting example of why OSM is important, since anyone can
edit and add the data, not what the LA City Council or Google or some
NIMBYs think is important:

http://gizmodo.com/why-people-keep-trying-to-erase-the-hollywood-sign-from-1658084644

The trails mentioned in the article seem to be present in OSM, although
with the gates mentioned:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3202722073#map=16/34.1339/-118.3214

Andrew

--