On Dec 20, 2014, at 12:35 PM, stevea wrote:
> Yes, I'll use owner= if known, and it is name= which displays in ORM as the name of the line. Many lines had name= as the service run upon them (like Caltrain instead of Union Pacific), and I have corrected this where I know it was wrong in OSM. But I haven't corrected all of these, just the ones I know. And now I think I'll have to go back and correct name=Union Pacific as the name of Union Pacific's subdivision for the line that Caltrain is run upon: Caltrain itself should be a relation. And so on.

Tod Fitch replies:
I was under the very strong impression that the main line from San Jose to San Francisco is owned by the Joint Powers Board (CalTrain) and not by Union Pacific. I believe that there are branches off that owned by Union Pacific and maybe even BNSF but that the main right of way was actually Caltrain's. Any place one could confirm or deny that?

Let's suppose Joint Powers Board is the owner. Does that mean that owner=Joint Powers Board, operator=Caltrain (and a route relation for Caltrain's services: Baby Bullet and Local) is correct? What do we put into the name= tag? A subdivision name? Perhaps "Joint Powers Board" (as well as, or instead of the owner tag)?

As I look in the (excellent) "CPUC_Rail_Crossing_List_v20140603.xls" document recently pointed to, I find no occurrence of "Joint Powers Board" in the whole sheet. Though, I do recognize it as a real entity that administers the Caltrain service (and it may own the track, too). I do find "PCIX: Caltrain" in the Rail System column, though, so that is a good indication we might put PCIX, Caltrain, or PCIX:Caltrain in the name= tag.

It seems we are still a little unclear on how to (fully, "properly") tag rail in the USA, with California trying to be a leader in OSM (again), but at least this discussion seems to be getting us closer. Good!

SteveA
California