> this is where we need "rail fans" or "rail professionals" to correct us
where we are wrong, as the structure of the network is what we are defining
with these tags (main and branch),

Oak Ridge National Laboratory: "... Railroad Network is a representation of
the North American railroad system that contains every railroad route in
the US, Canada, and Mexico that has been active since 1993. It is intended
for logical network programming, traffic analyses, and mapping
applications. Corporate structure, a key to the simulation of routing, is
explicitly temporal, allowing historical studies and comparisons.
Supporting data on interlines and corporate ancestry allow the construction
of routable networks for a specific target date. The network is an
extension of the Federal Railroad Administration's strategic network."

Michael Patrick
Geospatial Analyst