On 2015-01-08 18:43, James Mast wrote:
A user today just happened to change the 'Carnot-Moon' [1] ways [2] and
relation boundary [3] from a 'boundary=administrative' 'admin_level=8'
to 'boundary=census'.  Is this the correct way we have been tagging
stuff like this?  I've pretty much stayed away from these types of edits
(unless it's something obvious that needs to be reverted), and was just
curious to what the rest of the US was doing before I either reverted
the changesets this was done in, or contact the user (or if somebody who
has more 'knowledge' on these types of edits wants to contact him
instead, be my guest).

-James

[1] -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:Carnot-Moon,%20Pennsylvania?uselang=en-US
[2] - https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/38518599
[3] - https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/189136

Taginfo currently shows over 2,000 instances of boundary=census, both for CDPs and for statistical boundaries in other countries. [1]

I use boundary=census. If it weren't already in such wide use, I would've gone with the more generic-sounding boundary=statistical, but whatever. Another mapper in Ohio prefers to delete the boundary and admin_level tags but leave place=locality in place. [2] IMO the important thing is to remove the misleading administrative tags.

The TIGERcnl import apparently only brought in CDPs, but the Census defines a whole hierarchy of areas, including metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs), census county divisions (CCDs), and census tracts. [3] If we ever attempted to map them, boundary=census and boundary=statistical would be equally ambiguous and a tag similar to admin_level would be required. However, there doesn't seem to have been much demand for including these other Census features in OSM. (For that matter, if TIGERcnl had left out CDPs, I would've preferred to seem them mapped as POIs at centroids rather than as areas. Even where the CDP name is widely used, the boundary is less clear-cut than a city limit.)

[1] http://taginfo.osm.org/tags/boundary=census
[2] http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Ohio/Boundaries/CDPs
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:USCensus_Geography

--