On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Elliott Plack <elliott.pl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If I were to classify "abandoned" buildings myself, I'd go by the wiki
> definition which would include buildings that "have fallen into serious
> disrepair and which could only be put back into operation with expensive
> effort" [2]. However, if we even include the data, it would only be for
> buildings the city has identified as vacant.
>
> You've raised a good point that it'd be hard to mechanically determine
> whether a building is abandoned or disused. I'll have to check if the
> dataset is only for truly abandoned buildings like the ones above.

Interesting thread. There are 960+ abandoned building tags according to
taginfo. But only 60 with either vacant or empty. My little town has a
number of vacant buildings. It might be interesting to see them on a map.
There maybe a small handful of abandoned by the definition of serious
disrepair. I suspect a search of tax records to show who owns the property
might be a clue.

I have be in contact with the city about importing their building data. I
will remember to discuss their definition of vacant vs. abandoned.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us