On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 2:30 AM, Greg Morgan <dr.kludge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Every time this boundary debate or accuracy debate comes up, I image that
> I am supposed to have $20,000 of GPS equipment[1]; post process the data so
> that it is accurate; before I dare put the data in OSM.

I agree with you that things which you can't verfiy without thousands
of dollars of equipment doesn't belong in a generalized dataset like
OSM.

> 3. It is my belief and experience that the "ground observable rule" is
> something that only applies to Europe or older metropolitan areas.

Then you're going to have problems with all of OSM, since we use that rule
to handle virtually any dispute.

>  I am curios what river or wash I just drove
> over.  It is not posted.  I had to go to the US government sites to find the
> information because it is useful in OSM.

It's entirely possible that the names the locals use for that river
differ from the  government dataset, in which case, OSM would prefer
you use the local name as the primary name, and not the official one.
Ground observable in this case is "Local knowledge". Of course that
requires consensus, but this is why we have so many tags related to
names

> 6. The "ground observable rule" is trying to take over the more important
> rule: "Mappers with local knowledge of their area add valuable data that
> commercial mapping companies cannot always afford to add to the map."

This is based on a misunderstanding of your understanding of what the
ground observable rule is. A person who lives in an area and can talk
about it will actually trump most other sources, including signage,
but that requires that we get lots of people involved and working in a
diplomatic way.

> 7. The "ground observable rule" is a barrier to new mappers. I helped a new
> mapper at a Editathon add taco stands.  She did everything wrong. I did say
> no you cannot add that node. We have not gone and surveyed that node exists.
> I let her add the node with abbreviated street names and all.  She was so
> exited to add here research data to OSM.

Why not help her ensure that her data be in OSM by being a teaching resource?

Also, what does sign names have to do with ground surveying?

> 8. The "ground observable rule" is a barrier to new mappers. Most of the new
> mappers I know started mapping by signing up and adding data.

Adding data they surveyed or adding data they got from another source?

> 9. Taking Serge's example of neighborhood boundaries to the logical
> conclusion, nothing should be put in OSM because an edit war __could__
> ensue.

This is quite the stawman argument you've build in my name, but it's
not my argument.

OSM has a long history of encouraging surveyed data.

> 11. The "ground observable rule" fails to acknowledge that not every feature
> is observable but still is useful to OSM.  I had to talk the rent-a-cops out
> of arresting me for taking pictures around Chase Field [8]. I could not see
> around the building or under the 7th street bridge via satellite imagery. In
> this post 911 world, the "ground observable rule" is an unrealistic
> requirement.

I've never encountered a problem with law enforcement officials when
mapping, so I can't speak to your experience.

> 12.I am passionate about what I do with OSM and the out reach that I do.  I
> am game to survey and map my city, county, and state.  It feels like this
> "growing number of people" believes that every mapper has to map just like
> Steve Coast did ten years ago. Congratulations Serge!  It is my growing
> belief that your "growing number of people" has stymied growth in new and
> different valuable ways of mapping data.  I failed to map for months because
> it sounded like I had to have a GPS five years ago before I could map.

Last year (or was it the year before) at SOTM US, there was discussed
with Ian Dees leading the discussion about using municipal data in a
separate dataset, and yet I don't see you being as viscous against
him.

Whether it's deliberate or not, please stop misquoting me to further
your arguments.

- Serge