On 3/31/2015 11:02 AM, stevea wrote:
Part of the reason I do this is because other places you might "discover" these data (subdivision names) are maps published by the rail corporations. But, be careful. For example, I have found that when I go to Union Pacific's web site to get a page that displays their network map, I get a "login screen" or a very high-zoom level map which is clearly copyright protected, meaning OSM cannot enter those data. However, a map I found on BNSF's web site [1] is clearly NOT copyright protected, so I believe I can use those data. These are usually very high-zoom level maps, meaning they are only useful to "confirm" that an existing line (again, from TIGER) has a certain name. They are not sufficient/detailed enough to enter the rail data from scratch.
Without some kind of license giving permission, you cannot use other maps with OSM. The absence of a copyright notice has no impact on if something is protected by copyright* and I see nothing on the BNSF map to imply it is public domain.

* With some exceptions, mainly around old works.