> On Apr 4, 2015, at 1:36 PM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
>
> Indeed. I don't have much exposure to US Americans outside of OSM but in
> the few interactions like that I had, if people did have any conception
> about OSM it usually fell into one of the two categories I mentioned -
> either "OSM the hacker project to re-purpose government data" or "OSM
> the humanitarian project”.

I wonder if there might be a sampling bias going on. Going out an gathering
data in the field and then entering it is relatively straight forward and
non-controversial. So people doing that often don’t join or follow the mailing
lists. You are much more likely to run in to them at
https://help.openstreetmap.org or http://forum.openstreetmap.org than on this
or any other list.

If you get to a situation where it seems to you that an import might be a good
idea then you join a mailing list and discuss the idea. First with the mappers
in your country (talk-us in this case) and then if it still seems like a good
idea with the imports people.

But if all you ever do is “traditional” OSM field mapping you are seldom seen
or heard of. So the lists will be biased toward discussion of things like
importing data.

Might be interesting to see a breakdown of current map objects in the US to see
how many last had manual edits or corrections versus how many are imports.

Cheers,
Tod