Hi Frederik,

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 3:36 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 04/04/2015 07:20 PM, Simon Poole wrote:
> >> I just don't want to be called a couch potato in the course of it ;-)
>
> > Seriously, I believe Frederik was more referring to how OSM is viewed by
> > third parties
>
> Indeed. I don't have much exposure to US Americans outside of OSM but in
> the few interactions like that I had, if people did have any conception
> about OSM it usually fell into one of the two categories I mentioned -
> either "OSM the hacker project to re-purpose government data" or "OSM
> the humanitarian project".

I know we've gotten a bit off topic regarding the subject. My point is that
that OSM is going to work differently in different cultures. I understand
the need for legal compliance completely, but I also think people can
certainly do well thought out imports. The question of stale data in
imports? Honestly at this point that to me is more a matter of tools than
anything else. Are there ways to make it easier to update?

Japan and France spend a lot of time importing data. Do you spend as much
time over there telling them how their OSM culture should be?

> I always put it down to people in the USA traditionally having much
> freer access to data their government has collected (viz. TIGER) and
> therefore more likely to respond to "hey, here's people finally making
> their own map" with a shrug than with enthusiasm.

It is true, it is hard to excited about mapping roads for example when
there is okay data already existing.

> Creating that enthusiasm is a huge challenge (anyone remember
> CloudMade's ambassadors?) and in my opinion, every time someone says "ah
> we don't have to map this and that, we can take that data from <third
> party source>", the enthusiasm dampens a bit. Because who wants to be
> seen doing something that might turn out not to be necessary?

The Cloudmade ambassador program was complicated. The people that had the
most success reaching the widest audience were people that came outside of
the OSM community. To me that might be an indication that US culture
developers less people that have the "traditional" OSM culture fit.

-Kate