On 4/3/2015 5:32 PM, Eleanor Tutt wrote:
I'm interested in hearing more about how and why people contribute to
the map.

It's just a hobby for me, a way to get out and learn some obscure facts about a place. Most contributions come from a GPS survey or local observation. Although I believe I could get permission from my county and an adjoining county for importing buildings and addresses, I'm intentionally not bothering with that import because I'm not sure who would use the data yet anyway. (In the US, everyone uses Google, so they shrug at OSM). In the meantime, I am adding addresses of most POIs / landmarks that I enter into OSM.

There are now 3 major contributors in my area, up from 1 for many years. One pulls extensively from survey data he collects from daily travels. The other one has created some detailed landuse coverage for the region. I'm ashamed to admit that he hasn't actually traversed each landuse area with a GPS, but is instead using Bing<g>, and by the way NOT AN IMPORT.