On 19/09/2015 22:59, Elliott Plack wrote:
Hans: I saw they had been blocked but it expired: https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Police%20Department%20Of%20New%20York%20City%20Of%20New%20York/blocks

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 1:40 PM Hans De Kryger <hans.dekryge...@gmail.com <mailto:hans.dekryge...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Did his new account get blocked too?

    On Sep 15, 2015 12:22 PM, "Elliott Plack" <elliott.pl...@gmail.com
    <mailto:elliott.pl...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        This changeset has the exact same extent of the earlier ones
        from the BmoreHomicide user. Seems like they made a new
        account. Watch that one for any additional changesets.

(earlier contents snipped)

It's always a balance between blocking for a short time (after which a vandal might return with the same account) and blocking a long time into the future (which might just cause them to create a sock-puppet account that would be more difficult to detect). Ultimately we just have to ensure that we don't get bored dealing with problems until after the vandal gets bored creating them.

I mention this now because someone yesterday tried to recreate the World Trade Center as it was pre-2001:

I reverted and blocked the user again after seeing comments on the changeset discussions via http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-discussions . The user in this case had already been creating fantasy / historical maps in the UK and elsewhere and (after trying to get them via other means to not do it) had been blocked previously.

It's possible that this particular user might return with a different user name, and detecting that they have done so will need mappers local to or familiar with an area to spot the problem and flag it up.

The majority of new users aren't vandals, and most "problematic changesets" aren't caused by vandals either, but by enthusiastic new users for whom something goes wrong in the editor, or well-meaning more experienced users trying to "search/replace the world" who don't really understand the nuances of the tags they're changing (actually changing meaning rather than just mispellings etc.), which means that any comments in the first instance need to "assume good faith", even when something went badly wrong with the edit.

One of the easiest ways to keep track of new users is probably

http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/newestosm.php?c=United%20States#2/43.6/-110.0

(zoom in on a map to see new users in the last 7 days in an area) and for new edits in an area an RSS feed from one of the http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Quality_assurance#WhoDidIt instances.

Best Regards,

Andy Townsend (SomeoneElse)