Simon Poole writes:
I would however side with Andy in that what does seem to have some
lasting effect is constant news coverage.

Great to read this thread!

Yes, I agree. And even YOU, too, can influence this, especially if you have a newsworthy bit of rah-rah to report about something recently completed in OSM (whether you actually did the contributing yourself, or you are "simply" the reporter-of-facts). While I don't know what effect it had, I did publish in OSM's http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap_in_the_media/2013 for September (as that is when it occurred) an article about some success that OSM had achieved in our United Stated Bicycle Route System WikiProject. It was that Adventure Cycling Association had published an article in its blog, offering accolades to OSM for harmonizing the national bicycle network in the USA. Leveraging the media is GREAT!

Similarly, when I began my efforts to better express rail in the USA in this forum (talk-us, December 2014), and the need to correct noisy TIGER rail data, this got picked up by the "wochennotiz" (I think that's correct). Concomitantly, this certainly had something to do with the explosion of good rail updates the USA has seen over the last ten months: people do read "weekly news feeds" (whether in German, English, discontinued, started up again, or otherwise) as well as "press feeds." You just don't know when these will get picked up by more local press (newspapers, the news department of a TV station, a weekly city paper...). However, as they do, such "press coverage" definitely increases the exposure of OSM to a wider public that may be unfamiliar with it or what the project actually does. (We MAP!) This is a rolling snowball: it starts slow, but it gets bigger and bigger and bigger.

You can't expect to move boulders with the flick of your wrist. It takes a nudge here, a bit of effort there, a little bit of press coverage over in the distance. Keep chipping away like this, bit by bit, over the long-term, and it really does make a difference! We've had National Public Radio coverage and other national press, and we can keep that momentum going if we have the right things to report at the right times to "feed the media." Let's do so!

SteveA
California