From: stevea [mailto:stevea...@softworkers.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:12 AM
To: talk-us@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Increasing the number of US Mappers

>Agree with everything you said about *why* groups are important, except
>that: now that it's 2015, Facebook groups is really a better place for
>this.

No, Facebook is not a better place.  Vast billions of people do not (will not,
refuse to) use Facebook.  Onerous Terms of Service, the feeling that a
telescope is being shoved up our...there are many reasons, let us respect those
choices.

I agree with Richard (Fairhurst) here:  "(Facebook) is not an answer."

If OSM is going to do "groups" let's do them.  Not outsource, delegate, or "use
my favorite platform."  Heck, if you wanted to be kind of quick (and admittedly
crude) about it, you could almost turn our existing wiki system into such a
thing.  OK, don't (really, DON'T!), but please, let's invent the right wheel
here from within the folds of our very own project.  We have good (software,
forum,
"groups,"...) toolsmiths, let's grow this within OSM.  We could even use an
off-the-shelf solution from the open-source world, if the right fit is found
and it well meets our needs.

To further Greg Troxel's point:  for us, the only platform which is not an
$OBJECTIONABLE_PLATFORM is OSM.

Luis Villa writes:
"The question is not whether you should start conversations there; the question
is whether or not you're engaging with and benefiting from the conversations
that are already happening."

OK, if I accept that, then it is incumbent upon those users to "post back" (or
otherwise "make informed") users on the OSM platform.  Heck (again), even
software could do this.  Facebook translation bot, anybody?

I find it almost unbelievable that after an entire decade of spectacular growth
to millions of people in this project, we are still quibbling about basic
communication platforms that allow us to identify and grow our community.  We
truly can do better.

SteveA
California