Very cool & good pointers!

Am I correct that you set the location on Meetup in the morning and then
you meet in the afternoon? (i.e., quick & "flash mob"-y?) That sounds like
a lot of fun as it wouldn't take a lot of pre-planning or worrying about
expectations.

It might be worth promoting the *idea* of the flash map mob as a permanent
Meetup event - you could probably make it sticky so it always shows up on
the front of the page, but without a set date attached (does Meetup allow
that?) That could help with awareness/excitement I think.

Long-term, the "generic" meetup might even have a way to text to opt in to
"flash map mob" notifications - I know I have opted into several text
notification services from local organizing groups and I definitely notice
those announcements more than I would notice a Meetup for day-of
announcements. I'd be sad if I missed the flash map mob b/c I wasn't
checking Meetup and/or email! YMMV depending on how people typically
organize in Salt Lake City.

Eleanor