Hey Eleanor,

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

> On Oct 18, 2015, at 12:32 PM, Eleanor Tutt <eleanor.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Very cool & good pointers!
>
> Am I correct that you set the location on Meetup in the morning and then you
> meet in the afternoon? (i.e., quick & "flash mob"-y?) That sounds like a lot
> of fun as it wouldn't take a lot of pre-planning or worrying about
> expectations.

Until now I have picked the location a few days - a week in advance. Day-of
would be interesting too, especially in combination with your idea below:

> It might be worth promoting the *idea* of the flash map mob as a permanent
> Meetup event - you could probably make it sticky so it always shows up on the
> front of the page, but without a set date attached (does Meetup allow that?)
> That could help with awareness/excitement I think.

I think that is a great idea and I am going to try it right away.

> Long-term, the "generic" meetup might even have a way to text to opt in to
> "flash map mob" notifications - I know I have opted into several text
> notification services from local organizing groups and I definitely notice
> those announcements more than I would notice a Meetup for day-of
> announcements. I'd be sad if I missed the flash map mob b/c I wasn't checking
> Meetup and/or email! YMMV depending on how people typically organize in Salt
> Lake City.

I didn’t know Meetup had such sophisitcated methods of letting folks know about
events and have them RSVP by text message too! Do you know how to set that up?

Thanks,
Martijn