Perhaps true in general, but in this specific case the administrative boundary
for San Diego (1) is quite a long way from the post office in Pine Valley
(2)(3) and the Pine Valley post office is most likely to have a postal name of
“Pine Valley” as displayed on the front of the building (right next to the
restaurant I ate in last week and I saw it). And the post office is in the
administrative boundary for Pine Valley (4). (I was wrong earlier in assuming
that there was no administrative boundary for Pine Valley.)

This afternoon I took the liberty of changing the addr:city tags in this area
to “Pine Valley” as well as changing “Rd” to “Road”, “Tl” and “Tr” to “Trail”,
etc. I probably ought to go back and remove the is_in:city=“San Diego" tags on
those too. Seems like the is_in:city tag, like most other is_in:* tags, should
be deprecated in favor of boundary polygons.

Basically this is a badly done import and needs fixing.

Cheers,
Tod

(1) http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/253832#map=10/32.8254/-117.1081
(2) http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/358845864