Hi Greg and others,

Following the official procedure for proposing a new tag
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process>) I created that wiki
page a few days ago, and now I've sent an email to the tagging list, to
officially solicit feedback.
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2016-March/028966.html
<https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2016-March/028966.html>

Thanks everyone for your strong but sincere criticism so far. In the thread
here on talk-us, I explained _what_ we were trying to do, but I didn't explain
very much about our rationale: _why_ we think this is an important idea. The
wiki proposal explains that a little bit better, as does my email to the
tagging list.

I know that there are a wide range of opinions within OSM, but I want to make
it clear that we don't think we were "breaking" OSM data for anybody. We were
applying the knowledge of local, on-the-ground experts in order to better
describe the world within the free-form tagging system that exists within OSM.
Remember that there are no hard and fast rules within OSM, only informal
standards and common practices. Please also note that the official proposal
process does not require anyone to have a new tag approved before they start
using it. Also see: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like>

For now, I'm happy that Paul retagged the ways in question as highway=path,
access=no. That's a fine compromise until we've gone through the RFC process
for the new tag, and had an up or down vote.

Looking forward to the rest of the discussion,

Alan McConchie
Stamen Design