I find this a really worthwhile conversation to have. IRC is still great for
some but it’s hardly inclusive. I like Slack and started using it early on. We
set up an OSM US Slack, initially just for the board to coordinate, but we
extended it to be open for all soon. They even give us free stuff because we’re
a not-for-profit organization. I am a lurker on the Maptime slack and member of
~10 Slack organizations total. I introduced Slack at my workplace and it has
gained great popularity there since. I like how Slack could help support a more
inclusive OSM community.

But also consider this:

* There are open source copycats that are in some aspects better than the
‘original’. Mattermost and Rocket.chat come to mind.
* Slack really sucks at some things: open invites, fine tuning notifications,
broadcasting your status. It is known to become slow and even break down when
teams get huge[1].
* Slack will do what it can to keep you within their walled garden. You can
export data but is there a way to move an entire team or organization to an
alternative solution? Don’t think so (but ready to be wrong.)

I think that part of why we are having this discussion in the first place is
that osm.org <http://osm.org/> offers no great options for community members to
be in touch. The web site has always been about the map primarily, not the
people. I am curious if there are any ideas out there to change that. So we may
perhaps think a little bit less about creating more channels for people to be
in touch in the future.

[1]
http://blog.freecodecamp.com/2015/06/so-yeah-we-tried-slack-and-we-deeply-regretted-it.html