On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 12:42 AM, Paul Norman <penor...@mac.com> wrote:

> On 4/1/2016 12:22 AM, Greg Morgan wrote:
>
>> I would think that the US Board should add another board member to be a
>> communications manager.  I now understand why corporations have paid staff
>> that do nothing but manage all these communication options.
>>

> Why would this need to be a board member as opposed to another volunteer
> managing communications without being a board member?

Umm...because I am thinking like the US mission statement.  (Note that I
added under bars for emphasis.) Because I have little time nor interest to
join all the social media groups.  Because I would think the board has
access to information that I do not.  Because I would think that this would
be all about transparency of the board.

I enjoy listening to our conference videos. They are thought provoking. I
try to attend the state of the map every year but some other concern
prevents my attendance. It is not like I am saying, "not my job".  I asked
permission from the US board via the board's email address.  I did not want
to step on someones toes if a person on the 2016 organizing committee
already called dibs for the job.  I'd be happy to take on the job of
organizing the You Tube and Vimeo video channels.  I love this media.  I am
perfect for the job.  You create 'em.  I'll arrange 'em.  However, that
would require security access and trust that may not be appropriate under
this circumstances.

I am just discussing one part of fostering awarenes.  Hence my thoughts
about one position on the board to help manage the load of all
communications.

Regards,
Greg

Mission statement

We strive to support the OpenStreetMap project in the United States through
___fostering awareness___, ensuring broad availability of data, continuous
quality improvement, and an active community.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters/United_States#Mission_statement