Hi Paul,

These are good points, but it does not look like the `junction:ref` tagging
scheme is very common. Till there is widespread usage by the community we
will continue to follow the conventional tagging of the reference numbers
on the motorway_junction node [1].

Curious to know what the others think of the `junction:ref` tag.

Cheers,
Jinal Foflia

[1] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=highway%3Dmotorway_junction