On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:

> So we're ignoring that nodes don't inherit the directionality of the
> underlying way?  Really sounds like you're trying to suggest using
> direction=forward/backwards when a relation is what's actually needed.

There are already tens of thousands of STOP signs tagged with direction=*.
The semantics don't imply that a node has a direction. They assert 'traffic
must stop at this point when approaching the node in the given direction on
any way.'

JOSM is smart enough to warn if you reverse a way that has a STOP sign on
it. There are some guidance and navigation programs that correctly
recognize directional stop signs, with the direction tag on the node
referring to the direction of the approaching way. It appears that the
infrastructure is rapidly coming to accommodate the current tagging scheme.

You clearly don't like the practice, but it is indeed widespread. There
simply aren't a lot of STOP signs tagged at all in my area, which is why my
initial Overpass queries failed to turn up good examples when I asked the
question a couple of months ago.

Have you even posted a proposal for the relation-based schema that you're
advocating? You sent a link when we had this discussion before, but the
link went to a page about traffic cameras that had no mention of STOP or
GIVE WAY signs at all. Does any extant guidance and navigation software
recognize your schema? Do JOSM, Meerkartor or iD offer any assistance with
the appropriate tagging?