My thoughts are:

   1. The negative reactions to the study seem to be putting the cart
   before the horse. If our goal is to make OSM the most accurate and complete
   map on the planet, it makes sense to me that we would want to understand
   where our blind spots might be, whether they're due to differences in
   participation by gender, ideology, etc. I would expect a vigorous debate
   and passionate disagreement about what (if anything) to do about a blind
   spot if one is found, but that's not really the question at hand. Let's
   cross that bridge when we come to it. Of course, I'm willing to entertain
   arguments for why someone shouldn't pursue this line of inquiry but I don't
   see a compelling reason.
   2. Thanks to the OSM community (esp. Ian, Alyssa, and the rest of the
   board) for encouraging open, respectful conversation. I find my own
   feelings on topics like this to be more complicated than either of the
   screaming sides so I believe it's critical to ensure many voices are heard,
   even from those whose perspective we find difficult.

Regards,
Spencer
(green eyes)