Marc,

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 10:54 PM, Marc Gemis <marc.ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What I am missing from all the statistics that we already have about
> mappers today, is how divers we map. This can be done e.g. by counting
> the number of different amenities, shops, crafts, leisures that a
> mapper added and/or updated.

I really like this idea and would like to see this as well, ideally of course
as an open project. There’s bits and pieces already there, for example you can
look at TagInfo to see the diversity of tagging in use in general. Also OSM US
did a ‘ census’ asking mappers to give a little more information about
themselves so we know more about the demographics / diversity of the mapping
population. Also I did the ‘brave mappers’ hack a little while ago showing
activity of mappers in a region over time.

However, what if we could see the diversity of mapping by country / region /
city? Perhaps as a measure of % of documented and undocumented tagging used? I
think that would indeed open some eyes — perhaps not specifically to gender
issues, but to mapping diversity in general. That is, obviously, measuring on
output — we still don’t know what the diversity of the actual population is
that way — but an interesting research angle could then be to survey
demographics (the input side) and look at input / output correlation.

Martijn