I also seem to have observed that, at least in rural New Mexico where I
do most of my mapping, GNIS features like historic places seem to have
only been entered to the resolution of what town they were in, and then
all ended up at something like the centroid of the town or county
limits. The result can be rather odd - before I moved them all to more
correct locations, the parking lot of a particular bank in Socorro, NM
contained over a half dozen historic homes. What an amazing place to
visit!

So this is another thing to keep in mind, it seems like the GNIS
locations may be quite a bit less granular for certain types of
features. The historic features are a good example as they were
presumably all taken from the registry and so they *do* exist, but it
can take a lot of legwork to figure out where.

--
Jesse B. Crawford

https://jbcrawford.us
je...@jbcrawford.us