I guess my question is why primary isn't good enough for the primary route
between places that don't have higher grade roads connecting them? These
important mostly two lane roads are perfectly fine as primary.

In many cases primary routes happen to be divided, but in many cases they
aren't. Having a simple distinction between the two by using trunk to mean
non-motorway divided (or similar) preserves long-standing practice and
generally seems like a good thing to me.

-Nathan