You clearly haven't driven on US 97. It's a fairly busy road with a good
amount of truck traffic and lots of little towns along it. That was my
experience when I drove it. It goes thru central Oregon, which is arid, but
not totally desolate. There was PLENTY of cars going in the other
direction. We drove it between OR 138 and OR 58, and drove back to Eugene
via OR 58, another road that had LOTS of truck traffic, and IMO is fairly
analogous in terms of traffic to US 2 over Stevens Pass.