The tree cover issue is precisely why many states that have seasons have a
recurrent leaf-off (sometimes even in IR) imaging program.

Arkansas has their imagery, along with a raft of other open data, available on
Geostor as a WMS service that should be usable in JOSM and also as downloadable
data in your choice of extent and format. Oklahoma's is also available
somewhere, but I'm not sure where. They lack a statewide data repository, so
their data is scattered about various state and university sites.

I know the wiki has a list of imagery sources, but I don't think it has any
listed specifically as leaf off. Maybe someday I'll find some time to compile
one.

-Nathan