On 06/01/2018 21:11, Doug Hembry wrote:

(lots snipped, pretty much all of which I agree with)

IMHO, AT THE VERY LEAST, the background green fill for leisure=park
could and should be dropped by openstreeetmap-carto - it is unnecessary,
causes problems, and can be replaced by natural=* or landcover=* . This
would reduce one incentive for inappropriate use, and if still used
inappropriately, it wouldn't matter so much.
There's a discussion that touches on this at https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/603 - it was initially proposed there to replace the rendering of leisure=nature_reserve with rendering protected_area.

leisure=park and leisure=nature_reserve were both designed for specific on-the-ground features, but there's been significant usage of both to "turn areas green" in the OSM Carto map style.

While on the topic of rendering "parks", I do agree with Steve (again,
if I'm understanding correctly) that  it would be valuable, if possible
at some point in the future - both for map clarity as well as providing
useful information to users - for carto to use different colors for
different types of boundaries. I differ with Steve in that IMO the
coloring should be based off protect_class (or at least for several
bands of protect_class if there are too many distinct values for
separate colors) rather than jurisdiction. Jurisdiction is less
meaningful to users than level of protection, and in any case is usually
obvious from the area name and other tags. Further, boundary rendering
should indicate access restrictions (access=yes/no/permit) by some means
- perhaps a dashed line as is presently done for highways.

To be honest, I wouldn't "suggest that OSM Carto do X" here - there's been a lot of discussion already and no conclusions there. What I'd suggest instead is that someone knocks up a rendering of California based on what it would look like if boundary=protected_area, or protect_class, or whatever is used instead of park, nature_reserve and/or national_park.  It's not that complicated to do that - there are basic instructions for creating a tile server at https://switch2osm.org/manually-building-a-tile-server-16-04-2-lts/ and California is small enough in OSM terms to fit on a virtual machine on an average desktop PC.

I did something similar for the UK - here https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/c342d0e42aeec0219777535a16e4c025a8886bf1/style.lua#L362 is a simple example of "it it's tagged like X, make it render like Y", and the result is the dashed lines around e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/144944672 on this map: https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=12&lat=53.3107&lon=-1.7177 .  If anyone wants any help with that, please ask.  There's quite a lot of useful information around already, bt it is spread out in different places.

Best Regards,

Andy