On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 2:58 PM, Doug Hembry <doughem...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Briefly, my personal preference (for what it's worth), assuming
> rendering is added at some point for "boundary=protected_area", would be
> to drop rendering for "boundary=national_park" and
> "leisure=nature_reserve" as well (as I'm suggesting for "leisure=park").
> The "boundary=national_park" tag is redundant, given
> "boundary=protected_area and protect_class=2 and
> protection_title=national_park". IMHO, it could be deprecated. I don't
> have an opinion on "leisure=nature_reserve". Maybe there's some value to
> keeping it as part of the set of "leisure=*" values that describe
> facilities for human recreation, but it doesn't need to explicitly render.

I have 'leisure=nature_reserve' on a lot of things so that they
will render with the renderer that we have.

I've been trying hard to make sure that they are
also tagged with 'boundary=protected_area protect_class=*
access=*' as well, so that when and if the renderer shifts
to protected areas, I'm good to go.

While posting this,
I discovered that I've missed a few, but I need to do
research to figure out what protect_class they are.
That's one reason that I don't like requiring that
'protect_class' be the only driver. It's often not observable
on the ground. I can't tag it correctly until and unless
I've done some non-field investigation.

I've also done some limited landcover with a few areas
like https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6467468,
but I find it to be really slow going (getting it right involves
comparing summer and winter images, for instance).
In maps that I render, I ordinarily derive landcover
from non-OSM sources, so getting landcover for me
has a very low priority - I mostly map what I plan to
render. (Also called, "scratching your own itch.")

A fair number of 'national parks' are actually class 5 or 6, owing
to inholdings and private-public partnerships. They usually have
1b's and 2's embedded within them.