I think the road bed is compacted and built up to provide a crown so
water runs off but the gravel itself is not compacted on the surface.

So putting some numbers in here... there are only 5,700
surface=compacted ways in the US. On the other hand, there are 107,000
surface=gravel. And I am willing to bet a fair sum that 99% of those
do not follow the wiki definition of 4-8cm rocks.

Soo yeah... does anyone want to update the wiki? :)

Toby