On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 1:36 PM, Christoph Hormann <o...@imagico.de> wrote:

> While you might think this is a good example for why such a policy is
> needed it seems to me that the motivation for both the user blocks by
> the DWG and the main argument that led to the conclusion in the German
> forum that the edits should be reverted was that the mappers in
> question did not react to attempts to contact them.

I can't speak to the German situation, but this is the sort of thing in
general that I'm happy to buck upstairs to the DWG.

I've only once needed to, and it was a parallel situation, a mapper
doing a "drive by" import that overwrote some carefully hand-curated data,
not responding to OSM messages nor changeset comments. I didn't
want to fire the first shot in an edit war, so I asked DWG to intervene.
They did an admirable job - including being able to identify the data
source that the questionable data came from. They also caught some
conflicts that I'd missed, and prompted me to improve data in those
areas as well.

I didn't care at all whether the importer was a paid mapper. I cared
that the importer had overlaid 'boots on the ground' data with
verifiably incorrect data, had never discussed the import, and didn't
respond to changeset comments or OSM messages. I'm absolutely
fine with paid mappers who follow the rules. If you want to map features
for SEO, but you're supplying correct data, not overwriting other people's
work, and following good tagging practice, have at it! That's a win-win,
the map learns the locations and capabilities of the stores, and the
owner gets the visibility. But "replace good data with bad, and don't
talk with me about how to repair it," that's not acceptable.

If it is true that these changes are being done by an army of
sock puppets, then the DWG has its work cut out for it. Catching
all those fish might involve a drift net, which might inevitable
snag a dolphin or two.