The damage done by the "foot shot" is the damage
to the community. At least one researcher found a way to
study this (because of inadvertent import quality issues with
TIGER) and found that the areas with better import quality
wound up more poorly mapped over time. I'm convinced that
there are several confounding effects in play here, so
I don't take the results as more than a strong caution.

It doesn't stop me from importing, but it holds me back from
a number of things. I have a number of state and local databases
available with hydrography, transportation networks, recreational
trails, and so on, that I use as sources for "what's missing from
the map" but would now never contemplate importing wholesale.
(Once in a while, if they're substantially correct, I'll copy-and-paste
an object or two - lawfully.) I confine my imports to things
such as the boundaries of large parks and wilderness areas
that are of public interest but infeasible to field map.
Even the agencies that run them grapple with ancient
inaccurate surveys.

I will confess that I, too, have been remiss in picking up
after the TIGER. My mapping concentrates on where I go:
my own neighbourhood, and less-popular recreational
destinations for which no good maps (public or commercial)
exist at all.I might have done more about the highway
network if TIGER weren't "almost but not quite good enough",
so I may personally be an example of the damage
that particular import has done to the community.

I have few if any qualms about doing a quick copy-and-paste
of something like a pond outline from a public source
if a manual review confirms that it's correct. That's
a shortcut around the tedium of tracing around
orthophotos, and I can't see that doing it on a scale
of individual features does any real harm - it's just
a labor-saving technique. and likely to give better
results than tracing with my hand tremor.

And now I'm going back to curating data - doing the
necessary conflation to reimport updated protected area
polygons from New York State - demonstrating that
imported data don't have to be 'dead'.