I frequently download Dave's Garmin images for my (fairly ancient, yet still
trusty!) Garmin GPS 60 CSx.  (The fact that it runs on two AA NiMH rechargeable
cells I can rotate into a pocket-sized solar charger while I'm in the
wilderness has something to do with this).  Yes, I have noticed that as the CPU
in my Garmin GPS 60 CSx remains the same (obviously), yet the density of OSM
data from the SDHC card gets denser (especially in urban areas at medium-zoom),
it REALLY slows down screen-drawing on the Garmin.  This is problematic, but
only during initial draw or re-draw as I change zoom.  Basically it means I
shouldn't fiddle Garmin zoom levels (In OR Out) while in dense urban areas
unless I'm prepared to wait maybe 30 seconds for a full screen refresh,
possibly missing upcoming navigation cues.  Otherwise, navigation and "the map
moving along with me" (whether ped, bike or car) work just fine once the screen
draws at any particular zoom level, even in dense urban areas.

As an aside, if Garmin (a well-respected GPS developer/manufacturer) has
"switched" to using OSM (even if only ONE of its products!), that says a great
deal of "wonderful" for the quality of and confidence in our data.  (Which have
for some time found their way into Telenav's Scout products, too).

I also appreciate learning about alternatives (I didn't know about the Fenix
link either, thanks, Martijn), and also didn't know that Garmin's own map is
OSM-based.  Are we sure about that?  Garmin's "built-in" maps didn't used to be
OSM-based (obviously), when did that change?  (Yes, it may be that different
maps — some OSM, some not — are used for different
car/bike/hike/golf/fitness/whatever products by Garmin).  If anybody knows this
Garmin map history, I'm eager to hear it.

SteveA