Yes, indeed!  If Garmin wanted to make its loyal hardware customers a bit
happier, it could firmware-update how it draws various zoom levels and how much
detail it those include.  On an "old-school" device like my GPS 60 CSx, it may
be prudent to trim and prune here and there when using OSM maps (if that can be
determined, although now, it seems, that may be "more frequently").  However,
as Elliot has an Edge 820 and even "last week's version" is "sluggish" (with
OSM maps), a tune-up is prudent.  I believe it is where primary, secondary,
tertiary, residential roads are drawn at particular zoom levels.  Device
hardware ROM firmware update, or somewhere around there.

Heck, just like a map update is what Garmin turns into a paid data upgrade, I'd
pay Garmin several dollars to publish a paid firmware upgrade, especially if it
was as "smart" (and tuned...) as its data are.  That's clearly a business
opportunity, too.  I appreciate the good discussion.  Go OSM!

SteveA