On Aug 24, 2018, at 11:41 AM, Evin Fairchild <evindf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, I totally agree that we need to fix the rendering so that the renderer
> will show ref tags on route relations. But until then, it's impractical to
> expect people to avoid putting the ref tags on the ways.

Evin, we agree to disagree about "practicality."  Defects can be so severe that
workarounds cease as solutions.  If/as more data entry which tags for the
renderer STOPS (no more bandages), and the real wound is seen for what it is (a
problem that must be fixed), a much stronger incentive to fix exists.  We are
not there now because of all the bandages, though we may get there if data
entry more fully embraces "don't code for the renderer:"  shields don't get
rendered properly, routing seems to (or does) fail, etc.  Either way (we can't
have it both ways), the ONLY eventual solution is to fix what's broken.  Mihai
broached the topic, again (thank you), here we are.

It seems "until then" is good enough for some people.  As I can only speak for
myself, I say "not good enough for me."  Identifying defects is an absolutely
critical process in any software endeavor, OSM included.  And, as this is a
specific/localized problem, I wish to build stronger methodologies in OSM for
our ability to identify/recognize ANY problem in our data-to-render pipelines,
while being supported by our community in our quest to fix them.  My annoyance
IS at the renderer itself.  "Push for it to get fixed" is exactly what this is.

As crucial "render stack coders" (right on, Martijn!), are clearly a critical
OSM resource, they can't be expected to service every single problem, so we
have what has evolved.  But, we must prioritize.  This is correct:  some
defects are purely cosmetic, some are high-priority.  There is a rich spectrum
of multi-dimensional methods to measure (and hence prioritize) software
defects.  However, "pretending away" with "it's impractical" and "don't code
for the renderer" must be identified as what they are:  dancing/hand-waving to
buy some time until the demand (to fix defects) catches up with the
supply/reality of them actually getting fixed.  OSM simply must get better at
this.  I may not know exactly how today, but decades of improving exactly this
process at major software companies tells me that's what this is and that's
what we must do.  The process remains opaque quite likely deliberately to
"obfuscate away" demands on critical resources.  Let's open that up, please;
Open is our first name.

> I do agree with not tagging for the renderer, but I was merely pointing out
> that it's impractical to expect EVERYONE to follow it in this case until the
> renderer is fixed.

To make my point clearly:  calling it "impractical" prolongs the problem by
winking and nodding at slapping bandages on a wound.  The "short-term bandage
window" is or should be closed by now.  Paul Johnson is right:  dinosaurs like
ten-year old bugs ought to be fixed.  If you want to say "it's impractical to
expect..." you can.  I am saying "let's be practical by fixing what is broken."
 That's what works.

Really, this is a much wider conversation, as you (Evin) identify about
Washington state route shields and Kevin Kenny's recent "resurrection" of