[forwarding this to talk-us, sent privately in error]

-----Original Message-----
From: Richie Kennedy <richiekenned...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 1, 2018 1:19 PM
To: Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org>
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Trunk versus motorway

> On Nov 29, 2018, at 8:34 PM, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:
>
> Single carriageway grade separated?  Trunk.

Disagree vehemently. I do not believe that a Super-Two should be classified
differently than its four-lane counterparts

> Dual carriageway, at-grade intersections but otherwise freeway like?  Trunk.

It seems the question in this thread is “Where does a Motorway end and a Trunk
begin” where there is a stretch containing at-grade intersections between two
segments that could otherwise qualify as motorway.

In my neck of the woods, we have Watkins Drive, where by a consent decree,
there are intersections and traffic lights. There is a clear demarcation
between Motorway and Trunk - the speed limit drops to 45 MPH before the
non-Motorway stretch, then goes back to 55 MPH when controlled access
continues. Therefore, I would transition from motorway to trunk at the speed
limit transition

Then I also have K-7 between Olathe and Bonner Springs, where KDOT has
incrementally upgraded the road. From Olathe heading north, there are four
interchanges (119th, College, K-10, Prairie Star Parkway) an driveway
intersection, an interchange at 83rd, an intersection at 75th, interchanges for
Shawnee Mission Parkway and Johnson Drive, intersectons at 47th and 43rd, and
Interchanges at K-32 and Nettleton. I would mark off as Motorway from the PSP
interchange south and from 43rd north to Nettleton, and in the middle section
including the Johnson and SMP interchanges. As 83rd is a single interchange
between two intersections, it would not be given a Motorway designation.

First, I would look for any field-verifiable transition (e.g. pavement or speed
limit changesj between an interchange and intersection. If there isn’t one, I’d
be inclined to either make the transition at the start of a turn lane or at the
end of an acceleration lane.