I think your description of motels as parking directly outside rooms is
good, but I've seen plenty of motels that had multiple stories.

Wikipedia's page on motels is good and has this definition:

"a type of hotel consisting of a single building of connected rooms whose
doors faced a parking lot and in some circumstances, a common area or a
series of small cabins with common parking"