This was discussed at the main Tagging mailing list a couple of months ago:

Start of thread:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-December/041597.html
Continuation in January:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-January/041720.html

The wiki page for Motel was updated at that time:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Atourism%3Dmotel

A number of people said that the name on the sign is the main way to
distinguish a hotel vs a motel, but some thought that the easy access
to no-fee motor vehicle parking from the rooms was also a useful
distinction.