On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 11:58 AM David Martin <gs400d...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to editing OSM, having been a heavy user of OSMAnd for Android for
> several years.  I primarily use the maps for snowmobiling here in Northern
> Michigan, and building my own database of gpx tracks.
>
> The Michigan maps are lacking the information for state forest land.  I have
> noted that the Upper Peninsula does have some state and national forest
> areas, but there is much missing here in the Lower Peninsula.
>
> I have found the data on the State of Michigan website, and have successfully
> downloaded the shapefile for all state forest land.
>
> I would like to proceed with adding this data to OSM, with the help of
> experienced editors.
>
> This is public data, available at
> http://gis-michigan.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/dfe0bcec31184b57b9f0d96bc02d6548_1
>
> This is high-value data for all OSM users in Michigan, to understand when
> they are public land and help prevent trespassing onto private land.  I often
> have to switch over to Google Maps to see if I am on state land.
>
> Please advise as to how I may proceed.

A bit of background: I am the original importer of the 'New York City
Watershed Recreation Lands' data set, and I re-imported and continue
to update the "New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
Lands and Campgrounds" data set, so I appear to be the primary
custodian of OSM's representation of about 25000 kmĀ² of public
recreational land. I certainly think that representation of State
Forests on OSM is a worthy goal.

With that said, an iimport is a really tricky thing to get right. If
you're imagining a process whereby you could take a shapefile from
Michigan's GIS department and pour it into OSM, it's by no means that
simple!

A few questions and comments, to get us started --

How familiar are you with OSM mapping? In order for an import on the
scale that you're contemplating to be successful, the importers have
to be extremely fluent in the editor of choice - most importers use
JOSM, and many use external tools in addition. In particular, if
you're not familiar with mapping multipolygons, or with 'conflation' -
the process of merging data with what's already there - an import is
likely NOT the place to learn! I'm surely willing to advise and
assist, but I really want to be advising before any major moves,
rather than trying to clean up the massive mess that results from a
botched import.

Anticipating some of the objections: OSM ordinarily does not map land
ownership, but only land use, land cover, land access, land
protection. What we're going to have here is 'land open to the public
- managed by the State of Michigan Department of Xxx -  a protected
area (IUCN class #nnn) - etc." Those are the salient facts, rather
than the fact that the State owns it. Since we routinely map parks,
forests, nature reserves, an objection on the grounds that we are
dealing with land ownership data can be rebutted on these grounds.

How observable in the field is the presence of a state forest?  In New
York, where state land abuts a road, or where a trail enters or
leaves, there is ordinarily signage, comparable to a private
landowner's posters, that looks like
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/NYS_Forest_Preserve_sign.jpg.
In addition, where the road is entering or leaving the forest, turning
off to a parking area, or othewise in need of a 'welcome' sign, there
will be a larger sign like
https://andyarthur.org/data/photo_021252.jpg.  Moreover, in the back
country, while the posters may be absent, the survey line for the
border of the parcel will ordinarily be blazed, either with paint
blazes, or for many of the older lines, axe blazes.  Axe blazes are
visible for decades, even when a tree is nearly healed -
https://howtowilderness.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/blaze.jpg
is an example. In general, while it might be possible to stray outside
a forest parcel unwittingly if the adjacent landowner has neglected to
post, someone who knows the approximate location of a boundary line
and is looking for it will find it. If we have "there is signage
identifying the forest" and "there is at least this minimal level of
field visibility of the boundary", then in my opinion at least, the
import clears the bar of 'verifiability.'

Now comes the issue of compliance with the import guidelines.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines . You're already
well into Step 2, and doing OK so far. I'd recommend that the next
step is to draft an import plan. (This is actually called out as item
2 under step 4, but you'll find that if you approach the 'imports'
mailing list without a plan, you'll not get a favourable response.)
There's an outline for the plan on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Plan_Outline.  For similar
imports that I did, you can see the plans at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import:_NYCDEP_Watershed_Recreation_Areas
- this one is a full plan - and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NYS_DEC_Lands - this one is very
sketchy, but provided to document the approach to repairing
already-imported data.

Does the state publish periodic or sporadic revisions to the data set?
 It's important to think ahead to how the data will be maintained if
the state makes changes. For a relatively small data set like state
forests of a single state, it's not unworkable to apply changes
manually, but it's critical to consider how you'll go about
identifying when a parcel has changed. I know that when I apply
changes from either of the imports that I curate, I'm in for at least
a few evenings of work even with fairly sophisticated tools. If you
don't have the tools, then you will surely need a larger team.

As a political point, while there's no problem with putting your draft
on the Wiki, I'd suggest that before you post to 'imports' or add it
to Import/Catalogue, that you run it by some more experienced mappers.
(I'm one, Clifford and Martijn, who've already posted in this thread
are others, and I can suggest a few more if you email me privately.)
Importing is often a bitterly controversial process, and some of the
people on 'imports' will jump on the slightest technical flaw as a
reason that the import should not proceed. Having the proposal
tightened up by a few people who've been through the process helps.

Anyway, think some about these considerations, and then there are
various folks here who can help.