On 8/8/2019 1:28 PM, Alex Hennings wrote:
Community,

I'm planning a scripted change and would like feedback. Plans are
outlined here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_edits/blackboxlogic

I'd appreciate feedback or questions in the 'Discussion' portion of
that wiki page, or within this email list.

Hi Alex!

First, a possible typo: I think "Nodes, Ways and References" should be
"Nodes, Ways and Relations"?

I'm a fan of the +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx format, since it's the only standard
format that's visually intuitive to North American users. I often switch
numbers to this format when I make updates to an existing POI.

Personally, though, I've always felt a little uneasy about automated
updates like this because they give a false impression of the freshness
of the data. If it's been five years since any "real" updates to a POI,
I'd rather that the date of last update reflected that. It's hard to
gauge the community consensus on this issue, but IMO running this on
POIs that have been manually updated (ie not by a mass edit) in the last
6 months would be fine.

Regarding the single area code question... now that cell phones, VOIP,
and nationwide calling plans are ubiquitous, the idea that a certain
area code refers to a certain area is steadily eroding. I have started
to see a few businesses with out-of-state phone numbers on their
signs... but at this point it's still more likely that an out-of-state
area code is an error or SEO spam. I'd suggest that these would go into
your "Manually review or flag" category.

Regardless, the idea that an area can have a single "traditional" area
code is still true. Personally I have no problem with prepending the
traditional area code onto 7-digit phone numbers. (I do it all the time
in manual mapping.)

Finally, thanks for posting your tools... I see these are written in
CSharp, which I'm only tangentially familiar with. What sort of
environment would one need to build these?

Thanks, Jason