> Case 1:  http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/case1.png
<http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/case1.png> Two small coastal areas that
look a bit like rock outcroppings. It is hard to imagine to me situation
where it would be leisure=park.

See https://www.nytimes.com/2018/ <goog_603772207>
10/01/technology/california- <goog_603772207>beach-access-khosla.html
It isn't hard to imagine if you are a surfer, kayaker, canoist, fisherman.
These parks although they seem small are hugely important because they
provide public access to the water and shoreline below a certain tideline.
They are also frequently mentioned in fishing regulations. I don't know
exactly where this example is, but it's quite possible it might be the only
way to access miles of beach at low tide which would otherwise locked out
by private property. In Montana, for instance, you can float or wade any
stream below the high water mark. In Seattle, there are what appear to be
merely street ends that kayakers use to launch from.

> Case 2: > http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/case2.png
>  I am unfamiliar with CPAD 2018a and SCCGIS v5.

If you are mapping California, it covers these issues. Other states and
counties have published definitions.

> Is there a good reason to expect that their classification matches OSM
classification of objects?

No it it would not. CPAD was was put together built by consensus by
thousands of people from community groups, environmental NGOs, local
governments, and defined by classification experts that cross walked across
hundreds of definitions provided by the stakeholders. It incorporates
everybody's definition of a 'park', not just a couple of lines from a
dictionary.

> "It is a park in the sense of American English as of 2019. Whether it is
> a park according to OSM may be debatable, as it is an "unimproved" park,
> meaning it is under development as to improvements like restrooms and
> other amenities.

In Seattle, there are efforts to un-improve certain parks to restore them
as close as possible to native conditions, especially for salmon run
restoration, wildlife corridors, and plant species preservation.

> Note that it (IMHO correctly) explicitly mentions and excludes urban
forests.
See Las Wolski example at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure=park?uselang=en <
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure=park?uselang=en>

LoL!  " Forest within a city. This is not a park, as greenery is not fully
controlled"
Most of the Seattle Parks would not be parks, then. Also, that national
parks are " Parks in isolated, rural locations covering large, usually wild
areas" is not true, see https://www.nps.gov/subjects/urban/index.htm

I suspect that it may be situation here.
> Case 3:  http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/case3.png
> The highlighted area in the middle of the picture straddles a street and
> parts of an amenity=parking north and south of the street and seems to
> rather arbitrarily cut through the woodland at its northern edge.

Our county sometimes requires developers to provision for green space. A
friend of mine recently bought a house, and their owners association is
currently collecting ideas for theirs.

> Provided data - description and arterial is unable to distinguish between
a decorated park lot and a really small park. I would give low weight to
whatever it is officially considered as a county park

So here in Puget Sound, public lands and especially parks have been a focus
for over a hundred years ( Olmstead Brothers' 1903
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olmsted_parks_in_Seattle ), millions
of voters over decades deciding to taxing themselves for their county
government to establish parks, that county then designating those areas
according to the state laws, classifying and entering those boundaries into
one of the most accurate sophisticated 'open data' GIS systems in the
world. .

... and you would give their official definition 'low weight'?

> would love to have a rule of thumb that says "if it doesn't have a name
> (or if it's not more than xxxx sq ft) then it's not a park, it is just
> some trees" or so.

The rule of thumb is if the local ground truth calls it a park., it is a
park. And, at least for the USA, there are thousands of secondary sources,
starting with the National Map, state, county, metropolitan, and city web
maps, NGO web maps.

> technically a "park" in some county GIS system, doesn't mean we have to
call it a park in OSM,

Of course not. Which makes a statement in itself about the ongoing
usefulness of OSM for data consumers and even ordinary people. While the
rest of the global spatial community is moving together and reconciling the
differences between spatial data models  like the EU Inspire effort ), OSM
does allow you the freedom to enter whatever you want even if it doesn't
match the the local community. Hmmm ... we need a new phrase, like 'Crowd
Source Imperialism' or 'Open Hegemony' or some such. :-)

> and the idea that any patch of earth with three
> trees on it and two cars parked on it is a "park" because it is "open to
> the public" and "has amenities" sounds very far-fetched to me.

New York City has many of these. Some established after the public rioted
in the streets
https://www.nycgovparks.org/about/history/timeline/rediscovery-restoration
The Port of Seattle overlook parks fit your description also.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11fc2rb_t6pgvnFlv-MEo-zJqKDqxxxv1/view?usp=sharing
... most of these parks are also heritage sites for the Duwamish Tribe.

> Also, mapping micro-protected areas on a rocky shore seems to be of
limited value to me and puts a big burden on anyone who wants to verify
that.

It's not a big burden to type the street names into the local newspaper's
search box and see what pops up.
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/01/technology/california-beach-access-khosla.html>

The small size itself indicates that further investigation is needed, and
not ignored. The fact that these piece have not been absorbed into private
property over time indicates they are the focus of some sort of intense
public interest.

Michael Patrick
Data Ferret

Virus-free.
<#m_7801412225129682438_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>