Hi,

I guess we have (as so often) a problem with unconscious cultural bias
here. Property rights in Europe are generally much more limited than in
the US, e.g. in all but one(?) German states all forests are by law public
access, regardless of ownership. Also open farmland, meadows, etc.,
anything that is not fenced or walled in or immediately around houses
can normally be assumed to be public access in much of Europe, and the few
exceptions would be clearly signposted. I guess most european mappers
are not aware that the situation is different in other parts of the
world, so they simply have no idea why it could be necessary to tag a
piece of forest as a "park" to show it is a public access space.

Wolfgang
( lyx @ osm )